1. A cover Letter (OIE Sample)
2. Completed Form I-765: available at: http://www.uscis.gov/i-765
3. Check or money order for $410 made payable to: The U.S. Department of Homeland Security
4. Two passport-style photos taken within the past 30 days on white background
- The photos must be 2 x 2 inches. The image must be 1 inch from the hair to the chin and 1 ¼ inch from eye height to the bottom of the photo. Your name and I-94 number must be printed in pencil or felt pen on the back of the photos.
- Paperclip your photo and your check on top of your OPT application.
5. Copy of new I-20s reflecting OPT issued by OIE (one for your personal record and the other for USCIS Service Center. OIE will prepare these documents).
6. (A) If you are yet to graduate, provide Letter from your department stating your academic standing, program start date and expected graduation date (mm/dd/yyyy format) or completion of course requirements. If you are double-majoring, please be sure to bring a letter for each major.
(B) If you graduated already, provide evidence of program completion, i.e. a copy of your diploma or transcript.
7. Copy of I-94 Form (front and back)
8. Copy of Passport identity pages, photo page, page with passport validity dates including renewal page if original has expired, and pages showing amendments such as name changes, corrections, etc.
9. Copy of U.S. visa, if applicable.
10. Copy of All previous I-20 forms.
11. Copy of Previous Employment Authorization Card (EAD), if any
E-Notification: If you want to receive an email and/or a text message that your Form I-765 has been accepted at a USCIS lockbox facility, complete Form G-1145
, E-Notification of Application/Petition Acceptance and clip it to the first page of your application at https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/g-1145.pdf
1. After picking up your new I-20s at OIE. Assemble the OPT application packet, make a copy of the entire packet for your records, and mail it according to your delivery method.
2. Your OPT application must be sent to USCIS no later than 30 days after the date of I-20 issuance.
3. When you receive the Employment Authorization Document, you must bring its copy to International Student Services. Please do not forget to check your Employment Authorization Document for any errors. If you find any errors, please call USCIS Customer Service listed on your Receipt Notice.
4. Mailing Instructions:
- We recommend that you mail your application by certified mail with a return receipt or by courier service (e.g. FedEx) to have proof that your application was received. Please, make a photocopy of your application before mailing it.
- Within four weeks of USCIS receiving your application, they will send a “Notice of Action” letter that serves only as a confirmation receipt of your application. If you do not receive a “Notice of Action,” please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Use: "no notice of action" in the subject line of your e-mail.
|For U.S. Postal Service deliveries:
||For Express mail & courier deliveries:
USCIS Dallas Lockbox
USCIS, P.O. Box 660867
Dallas, TX 75266
USCIS, Attn: AOS
2501 S. State Hwy. 121 Business, Suite 400
Lewisville, TX 75067