Discover Your Island


On Campus Employment:
Federal regulations allow F-1 students to work on the premises of the school that issued their currently valid I-20 if they are in good standing at that school and they are maintaining legal non-immigrant status. Students can search for on-campus jobs visiting the Career Center located in the University Center, 3rd floor, or visiting website. Students are also advised to check at the Mary & Jeff Bell Library, the Center for Academic Student Achievement (CASA), as well as their departments for job openings that may not be posted on this website.

Obtain Proper Employment Authorization before Beginning Any Work: 
The Department of Homeland Security considers working without proper authorization as one of the most serious violations of a nonimmigrant’s status. The  I-94 card states:

Warninga nonimmigrant who accepts unauthorized employment is subject to deportation. It is illegal to begin any work before obtaining written permission first, except for those students in the case of work defined as on campus, even if the student has applied for work authorization (CPT or OPT) and is anticipating approval. Be aware that a student who has worked without authorization is out of status and IS NOT eligible for reinstatement.

Curricular Practical Training (CPT)

Optional Practical Training (OPT)

Social Security Number (SSN)