Social Security Card
How to obtain your Social Security Card
When you get a job (on-campus, cpt
, opt), you need to apply for a social security number within the first 30 days. You must go to the US Social Security Administration, located in 3801 South Port Avenue, Corpus Christi, TX, 78414; and present the following documents:
- Form SS-5
- Letter of employment (provided by the department hiring you, see sample here)
- Letter of support (provided by the Office of International Education)
- To request OIE providing “Letter of support”, please email email@example.com with scan version of your letter of employment.
- The office hours of the US Social Security Administration is Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday 9am-4pm; Wednesday 9am-12pm. You may want to come earlier than 9 am. because it is normally a long waiting line at the office.
- If you don’t have a vehicle, there is a bus stop near the US Social Security Administration, and you can find your routes from CCRTA’s website.
- It will take about 2 weeks or more before you receive your SSN in the mail. When you receive it, please take your card to the Human Resource Department to update on the system.