1. Insurance Requirement
All international students entering the U.S. on a F-1
or J-1 student visa are required to be covered under the Texas A&M University System Student Health Insurance Plan (SSHIP) or have equivalent insurance coverage as described below. This includes persons who are attending intensive English language programs. The reasoning for student health insurance, is when a student leaves the U.S. and maintains immigration status with their intent to return to the U.S., he or she is considered by agencies, university, etc. to be a student who has entered the U.S. and complying federal rules and regulations, university requirements, etc. must be covered by SSHIP. The plan is automatically charged to F-1 and J-1 international student’s tuition and fee statement. International Student Services (ISS) does not determine the cost of this insurance. Cost information can be obtained at https://tamu.myahpcare.com/cost
. This plan is reviewed annually by System Benefits Administration. The cost is established based on plan design, plan participation, and claim experience. This plan is available for students at all A&M System universities.
2. Health Insurance Plan
Academic Health Plans (AHP) administers the student plans, including the Grad Plan and SSHIP and coordinates the waiver process for F1 and J1 students
. BlueCross and BlueShield of Texas (BCBSTx) underwrites the Student, Graduate and Employee health insurance plans
which include managing claims and providing other health and wellness benefits. For general information about the System Student Health Insurance Plan (SSHIP) please review the following link https://tamucc.myahpcare.com/
- Emergency coverage: SSHIP includes emergency services and benefits to help you and your family with expenses that you may not consider until faced with an emergency.
- Dental insurance: Dental insurance is not covered in TAMU-CC’s insurance plan and you are required to purchase dental insurance on your own. Please refer to https://tamucc.myahpcare.comand see “dental rates” attachment.
- Adding a spouse or children: See attachment “add dependents” attachment. You can complete this application now, but it will not go into effect until 1/1/2019.
- Receiving your card: ID cards will be mailed to new students only. If you lost or misplaced your card, new ID cards can be ordered by calling Customer Service or at https://tamucc.myahpcare.com
- Billing: If you do not think you are qualified for this waiver (see details below), you will be automatically billed SSHIP insurance for the coming semesters. It will appear in your tuition and fees statement.
- Change in Health Insurance Enrollment after Approved Waiver Granted: If approved for a waiver and there is a change in your health insurance enrollment status at any point in the semester, such that you no longer meet one of the waiver requirements, immediately contact OIE at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Deadlines and fees:
- The waiver application period will be from 12/07/2018-01/28/2019 It takes anywhere from 5-10 business days to receive an email from AHP regarding your waiver application status.
- The enrollment period will be from 11/15/2018-02/13/2019. Note the enrollment period is if you are interested in enrolling for a dental plan, or if you choose to enroll your dependents (spouse or children).
For general information about the System Student Health Insurance Plan (SSHIP) please review the SSHIP frequently asked questions handout here SSHIP Frequently Asked Questions
3. Helpful Links for Health Care Services